Tuesday, June 8, 2010



This pictures doesn't really match. But it was pretty.
Read 1 Samuel 3:1-11.


I love the story of Samuel, a young boy, living in the temple with the prophet Eli. One hot, steamy, summer evening (it's always hot over there, right?), Samuel heard his name. He ran to Eli (just the opposite of my boys, who would run the other direction) to see what the old man needed.


"I didn't call you," Eli said. He probably kissed the boy on the forehead and sent him back to bed.


Minutes later, Samuel heard his name again. "Samuel . . ." someone whispered on the wind. He ran back to Eli, only to get the same answer.


"I didn't call you. Now, get back to bed." In his patience, he might have walked Samuel back to his room, tucked him in. Finally, some rest.


Moments later, Eli turned over in his bed, only to find Samuel standing there. "You called?" 


After thunking himself on the forehead with the palm of his hand, Eli realized the Lord was calling Samuel. 


Wow, to hear those words for the first time. Samuel didn't even know it was God. He'd never spoken to the child. Yet.


That's about right. We hear our names called over and over, yet we don't know who is calling us. We go back to bed, or work, or our lives, and never hear God speak. He keeps calling our names, but we don't hear, or listening doesn't always come easy.


Could God be calling you to service, just as he was calling Samuel? Are you hearing a voice, but don't know yet where it's coming from? 


Jesus said in John 10:27, "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me." It's not always easy to hear, but He's there calling us, and still waiting patiently for us to listen.

2 comments:

Author and Editor Sandra D. Bricker said...

But you forgot the most important part! How you put on a driver hat and shuttled me to and from the airport for no other reason than just because you're a sweetheart.

juliepollitt said...

Awww. You're so sweet. I loved being around you. I would do it anytime!

Proverbs 16:3

Commit your work to the Lord and your plans will be established.