Friday, June 4, 2010

Mess Maker, Mess Maker . . .



Summer is upon us. I know this, because my kindergartner comes home from school every afternoon and tells me the exact number of days until he is done for the year.


I usually spend my summers walking behind my six and four-year-old boys with a vacuum, cleaning up the dirt they've tracked in from our grassless backyard. The whir of the Hoover is a familiar, and comforting noise.


I often wonder if God walks behind us with a holy vacuum, cleaning up our messes. I am guilty of making bad choices now and again. I'm betting He changes the bag a couple times before His floor is shiny again, after dealing with me.


Aggravation eats at me, after I've told the boys to wipe their feet, for the four or five-hundredth time. Then I think about how many times God has told me to behave, be a good listener, and make smart choices, and I don't. I blow it. Again. 


He tells us in Isaiah 43:25, "I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more" Wow. He blots out our sin. He doesn't look back at the tracks I've left behind. 


I can't count the number of times I've turned my head back the other direction, searching for the tracks my kids left behind. But, thankfully, He keeps His eyes focused ahead. He sees what we are capable of, and what is in our future. Thankfully, He forgives . . . and forgets. 


This summer, I might have the vacuum, but I won't be looking back. 

No comments:

Proverbs 16:3

Commit your work to the Lord and your plans will be established.