Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Starting School for the First Time...

This week starts a new era in my oldest son's life. At four, he will be starting preschool tomorrow.

I must admit, my emotions have been out there on my sleeve. I am excited for this time in his life. New friends, new teacher, and the best part - a new playground. Yet, I feel the first twinges of him growing up and not needing Mom as much as he used to.

As we took the "preliminary" walk through the school, we peeked into the classroom. It was naptime, and kids were scattered around the room sleeping soundly on their mats. He silently surveyed the room and said, "But I need you in there, Mommy." I so desperately wanted to grab his hand and tell him that I would love to spend the day in there with him. But, I didn't. I told him that he would do great without me and at the end of the day I would be waiting for him with open arms - and I will. I will listen without fail to stories of new friends, crafts, and what life is like out there on the playground.

He will be fine. I will be on the sidelines, wiping tears of joy now and again, as I cheer him on in his new adventures.

3 comments:

Ivy Vega from www.ivysmind.com said...

Julie, I have been where you are at and is so hard to let go of that little hand in the morning. I have great memories with my daughter and her first day of preschool. I cried more than she did. Is has gotten better over time and have actually graduated to dropping her off at car line. She says she is a big girl and she can handle it, but I can't.
These are great memories, enjoy it.

Kimmie said...

Oh, how was your first few days? Hope you are all doing well and that the tears have turned to joy!

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

* we have adoption news!

Kristen said...

It's hard. But it's good. Good for you and him. I feel a little sorry for kids who are start big Kindergarten and haven't had preschool. It's all very overwhelming. Console yourself with that. It's a good thing.

Proverbs 16:3

Commit your work to the Lord and your plans will be established.